Wednesday 20 June 2012

My own fantasy world

I love reading. I love the feeling when you get so engrossed in a good book you cannot put it down. I love the different characters. And most of all, I love that for half an hour, I put myself in their shoes and the book almost becomes like real life, like my own fantasy world.

A lot of people only read books on holiday, probably because they don't have time in day to day life with full-time jobs and children. But in a way this is sad, these are the people who should read the most. They are usually the most stressed, so therefore should be able to take thirty minutes out of the day to indulge themselves into a good book.

I'm pretty much the typical girly girl when it comes to books. I love all the popular series', for example, Harry Potter, The Twilight Saga and more recently The Hunger Games. But one day, a few years ago, I walked into W H Smiths trying to find a random read when I came across an author called Dorothy Koomson. It would be safe to say I'm a sucker for the romantic, 'soppy' novels. So, when I saw a cute little blonde girl on the cover hand in hand with a young woman with the title 'My Best Friend's Girl', I thought that it must be the perfect read for me. Oh, and that fact that, back in the day, it was voted as a good summer read by Richard and Judy.

It's safe to say, this book had me hooked from the word GO. The basics being that a woman called Adele died at a very young age, she had a small child. When she died she asked her best friend, Kamryn,  from school to look after her little girl. The story follows her life, the ups and downs, the loves and losses. But the main thing that had me so hooked on this book was that the author wrote the story so casually, the characters in it seemed so real and it could have easily been reality. Ever since reading this book, I have watched Dorothy Koomsons blog and website closely for her new releases and read every single one of them. She sure can write a good story.

After reading and loving books like Harry Potter and Twilight, my friend recommended The Hunger Games saga. I was very sceptical at first when she described the plot, saying that children had to fight to the death. But one I started reading I become addicted. Addicted to the point were my flat mates made fun out of me because I couldn't put the book down.

Katniss is the main character in the book and the sympathy I felt for her was incredible. Although the book was very futuristic and unrealistic, I found myself believing her character was real. It may sound sad, but, I was in a shop the other day and had to do a double take finding myself thinking I'd seen her in a shop. Yes, funny, HA HA. But that is literally how engrossed in books I get.

Another good thing about the Hunger Games was the incredible description. The author managed to create amazing images in my head of the scenes within the story, which I can imagine is very difficult when writing a book.

I love writing and the truth is I'm in awe of these writers. Although I don't want to write novels for a living, I hope I can tell a story as well as these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment